Monday, May 11, 2009

Christian Fiction

I read Christian Fiction books a lot. Most of them have a romantic angle to them. I had the discussion recently with a group of friends about substituting reading fictional books for your bible reading time (not completely, just not spending as much time with the Bible). I have to say that it convicted me. I often walk away from reading a christian fiction book with a better understanding of a biblical truth than I may have had before. They bring interesting topics to mind that I may not have thought about quite that way before.

However, should it replace some of my Bible reading time? I think the answer is an unqualified NO! God gave us the Bible to guide us. I do think that he uses the hands and thoughts of authors to bring certain messages to us and I by no means think we shouldn't supplement our Bible reading with other readings, but that is exactly what it should be-- a supplement!

So, I am going to try something. When I am reading a Christian Fiction Book, I will try very hard to explore the things discussed and revealed to me while reading them and study them with the Bible. I am also going to make sure that I have done my Bible Reading before I pick up my Christian Fiction book. This way, the Christian fiction book becomes a tool that will really help me strengthen my relationship with God.

For Mother's Day and my birthday, my husband and children presented me with an Archealogical Study Bible. I had been hinting that I wanted one. I love it! It brings to light so many things that I didn't know. It is really helping me to understand some of the background behind the scripture.

I have been reading Unredeeming Love by Francis Rivers. It is based on the story found in the Bible in the book of Hosea. After completing the novel, I went and read Hosea's account of the story in the Bible. I can't remember understanding Hosea that well before.

Okay, enough of my thoughts on this subject!

Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

  1. Great input on reading the Bible and a fiction book, and so very true. I also like going right back to the Bible to better understand what guidance He gives us and how it portrays to today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this entry....You are so correct!
    James 1:22-27

    ReplyDelete